Our History

In The Beginning

The Avenues Clinic was originally the brainchild of a Harare gynaecologist and obstetrician, whose initial plan was for a maternity home. A consortium of business leaders, however, took over the scheme, deciding to expand the vision to encompass a multi-faceted hospital that would complement government facilities and Medical Investments Limited (MIL) was founded. Shareholders were made up of local companies exhibiting a high corporate social responsibility.

The faith in the concept more than proved itself when  the hospital started serving Harare, Zimbabwe, the regional and International market. The original design proposed that the clinic contain single rooms. However, it was soon realised that this was not feasible in Zimbabwe where 80% of the private health sector was sustained by medical aid societies anxious to keep fees affordable for members. The rooms were turned into doubles, and there are now 176 beds in the clinic.

As the clinic expanded, so did the need for more space. In the mid-1980s, MIL acquired an adjacent block of flats to house the Finance offices, and later the post-graduate nursing school. In 1990, the company bought the near-by Montagu Clinic, a tranquilly set clinic that caters mainly for ear, nose and throat day surgery in addition to laparascopic, ophthalmic and minor surgery.

Five years later, St Clement’s Nursing Home in Baines Avenue was bought to complete the three units under MIL management. This operates as a post surgical and rehabilitation annexe of The Avenues clinic, accepting both surgical and medical cases. MIL is run by a board under the chairmanship of Pearson Chitando, a Harare chartered accountant and businessman. The company continues to reinvest in capital equipment and a major refurbishment and equipment recapitalisation programme is currently underway.

Visiting Hours

Visitors are allowed to see patients during the following times

Morning
1000 Hrs - 1100 Hrs

Evening
1630 Hrs - 1800 Hrs

Read more

©2019 The Avenues Clinic. All Rights Reserved.